Thursday, April 19, 2012

5 days of sanity

After 6 weeks of Trev being away, and the terrible threes in full swing, I didn't want to do it anymore.  I needed help.  We packed up for Grandma's house where adults would outnumber the boys 3 to 2.  Yes!  Lately the boys have been more than a handful.  They are fighting all the time, can't leave them alone for 2 minutes without a fight breaking out and hitting and biting and throwing ensuing.  They also have developed little attitudes that push me to the limits of my patience, combined with not listening and general naughtiness.  What they really need is to be apart from each other, but they just won't.  Personal space just isn't a requirement for them and they won't play alone.  They also really need naps, but still resist with all their might most days and its become more trouble than its worth.  At Grandma's house we can all tag team them, and more people equals more distractions.  We arrived Friday and moved right in, starting our 5 days of messing up my mom's house.

The pancakes Grayson helped make and pour.
Every day my parents took the boys on for a few hours so I could get away.  That was heaven.  After a little mishap on my bike that involved my mom falling off and bruising herself pretty badly, my dad had to really step it up, and boy did he ever.  On Saturday he took the boys biking at Polson Park.  I dropped them off and went for a ride at Kalamalka Park.  It was so nice to get out and be on my bike again, changes your whole perspective.  I met them for a snack at Timmy Ho's after and then we bought the boys some new shoes.  They had been wearing boots since November and I didn't realize how small their shoes were.  Saturday afternoon Christine, Reg, and the kids arrived to add to the chaos. The cousins all get along so well, and play that I almost didn't see them for a few days.  Cyrus and Acacia became their leaders and since I brought the bouncy castle with us they were in there for 2 days.  They also had bike rides together and park visits.  Auntie Chris and the kids burned the boys out so much that they had a nap, which is something they have only done a few times since Trev has been gone.

More pancakes, everyone loves Grandma's pancakes

A real breakfast not just the boys leftovers

On Sunday I was back on my bike for another tour around Kal Park.  It was a beautiful morning I could help but stop for photos.  I did a "Round the Mountain", and climb up the "Wall" for a descent from the top of the ridge, views all around in all directions.

Cosen's Bay beach through the Ponderosa Pines
Arnica in Bloom

View from the top of the ridge of Kal Lake looking west

Round the mountain, looking east towards the Monashees


I also got to hit up the Home Depot and Rona and anywhere else my heart desired all alone.  We still have lots of work to do at the house and nowhere to shop in the Kootenays that has lots of variety.  There were also a few visits to the hospital to see Papa and Nanny.  Lots of time to get things done without two naughty 3 year olds.  By Wednesday we had worn everyone out and it was time to go home.  It was like a nice vacation with my kids.  Yeah for grandmas and grandpas.