This week has started out very productive. Jake came on Monday to cut down the beam. I have been very nervous about this part, envisioning the house moving when it comes down, despite the advice of 4 different timber framers/log guys that said it was just for looks really. I went to work that morning and was a little scared to come up to the house after to see their progress. Of course as soon as I got there they were ready to make the first cut. It took a while to set up the elaborate scaffold support system for the log and the brace.
I will admit I didn't take these pictures as I was nervously hiding in the basement. Of course it was fine, just as everyone had said. Turns out the beam was cedar and very light. They cut it down in 2 pieces and carried it out to Jake's truck no problem for him and Trev. Phew! I came just in time as it was good to have a 3rd person to help grab stuff for the guys.
And there you have it one beam less in the house and now we have access to the awesome 16x25 loft that we are going to use as our family room.