Tuesday, August 30, 2011

7 Summits

Every year we try and make sure we do the Seven Summits Trail in our local mountains.  This world renowned trail is a grueling 30 some odd km of single track mountain biking.  Trev managed to squeeze his ride in while Papa was here, and last weekend was my turn.  I put out the feelers to see if anyone wanted to join me and only got one bite, from fellow twin mom and possibly the fastest woman in Rossland on a bike this year.  On Friday she rode the trail without the downhill in the end in 3 hours and 20 minutes.  My usual speed is about 5 1/2 hours to that same point.  I was a little scared.  As we started riding she took off like a shot, and left me in her dust.  My legs felt sore and tired not even 1 km in.  Ugh, it was going to be a long day.  I put my head down and just kept pedaling.  It was a beautiful day up there, clear blue sky and wildflowers everywhere.

Old glory in the rear and some beautiful Indian paintbrush

Looking east on Elgood

Old burned out stump from a historic wildfire


 6 hours later we were at her car, and another 7 summits was done for me.  I was tired and maybe a little dehydrated with a headache, in bed by 9 pm and slept until the next day. Amazingly I got up feeling not too sore at all, and did a days work delivering the mail 15 km or so.  I was sure suffering on the trail, but luckily didn't have to pay for it for days after too.  Next time I may choose a slower partner.