Saturday, August 20, 2011

Trev comes home for August


Car wash 

Trev has all of August off, and we have it packed full of excitement.  It can be quite boring and repetitious around here without him around.  The planting season lasted extra long this year due to wet, cool conditions all spring.  They started late and finished late.  Trev's last day was the 1st of August and he arrived home in time for dinner.  Yeah for no more $12 hour daycare and me rushing around like a chicken with its head cut off to minimize the time I am paying for.  Yeah, the boys are home with their favourite person, their dad.  Yeah for me, I get a life for a month.  Yeah for Trev for having some time too to have a life.  I LOVE AUGUST!  Huckleberry picking, mountain biking, hot days, warm nights.  On top of it all, Papa is coming to visit which is great, and I am taking my first vacation alone since I met all of these lovely Macaulay men and boys.  August is also my sister, niece and dad's birthday's, 8 years old, 35 and the big 70.  Trev may have just come home on the 1st, but we were on the road again by the 5th to Vernon for my dad's 70th.  My mom cooked, cleaned, planned and pulled off a great party for my dad's 70th at their place in Vernon.  Trev and the boys and I left right after work on Friday and arrived by 6 ish that night.  We didn't do much but raid the fridge and drink the beer.  Saturday morning we set up some tents and helped as much as we could, but then took the boys to Polson Park.  They checked out the skateboard park for the first time and were mesmerized.  They played on the exercise equipment.  They watched the kids at the waterpark, and played in the playground.  Just as I was saying to Trev how I didn't really trust Grayson not to get hurt as he is the classic look one way and walk the other kid, he walked right off a 3 foot drop, looking the other way.  What the?  That ended our morning, but was timely for everything else that had to go on that day.   It was a good party with all of my dad's buddies.





On Sunday we left my poor mom with a big mess and headed home.  We stopped in Kelowna at the beach for lunch with friends, and then stopped in Greenwood to have dinner with Trev's dad.  I should back the story up a bit actually.  Trev's dad landed in Kelowna by plane from Goderich ON on the Friday night with a suitcase that held some clothes but mostly a fold up touring road bike, custom made for him in Oregon.  His plan was to cycle this fold up road bike some 400 km to Rossland from Kelowna.  And he did, being Superpapa.  We met him 2 days later in Greenwood for dinner.  Fearing the boys may initially be shy, I said they could jump on Papa's bed in the hotel room.  This backfired a bit as they weren't the least bit shy and all they wanted to do was jump on his bed and eat his food, right after we had woken him up from a little snooze.  We had a nice dinner and continued our whirlwind trip back home leaving Scott to sleep his big day over Anarchist summit away.