Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Haida Gwaii

Months ago I decided that all the points we have accumulated on our credit card were going to be put to good use. So I decided I need a trip away from home and the kids and have always wanted to go visit my friends Matt and Katie in the Queen Charlotte Islands of the north coast of BC, now officially called Haida Gwaii. So I booked the ticket and last week flew up on Sunday the 13th. The trip is 2 flights on small regional planes. Trail to Vancouver and then Vancouver to Masset. A really easy trip considering it would take 2 days in a car. Katie took off all the days off work that I was going to be there and showed me everything on land that there is to see on Haida Gwaii. I was expected an amazing, magical place and it really is. Its so remote that there aren't that many tourists and besides the rape and pillage logging it is still so wild. The trails we hiked on we clearly barely used, and we almost never saw anyone. Although remote, it still had a funky little style. I loved how slow, quiet and relaxing life is for them up there. We slept in until 9 everyday, didn't stress about time at all, it was actually a little hard to get used to for a few days.  Our first day we took it pretty easy getting my bearings around the town.  We crossed the tidal flats at low tide to the island just across from Queen Charlotte City.  It is boat access only and a magical little place a stones throw from the main road in town.

The colour palette of Haida Gwaii, brilliant green and rusty oranges, and golden yellows

Walking across the tidal flats to Robertson Island

View from Robertson Island back to Queen Charlotte City
Everything becomes the forest here
We checked out town next and did a great little loop hike through the huge forests on the island.  Most is second growth, but there are still spots with old growth cedars, hemlock and spruce.
Docks in Queen Charlotte City
??
New chief's pole in Skidegate
A Bill Reid pole and Haida language centre in Skidegate

Bonanaza Beach in Rennell Sound on the west coast of Graham Island







Big Sitka spruce on the way into Yakoun Lake

Yakoun Lake, sunny on the the east side and rainy misty on the west
Giant logging trucks.  In all my years I have never seen trucks this big except for on Haida Gwaii